The Use of Silence to Rejuvenate
You’ve probably experienced various times in your life when you felt tired, overloaded, and overwhelmed. You realized you were running on autopilot; just getting up and going through the motions of the day, only to start all over again the next morning. Fortunately, there are some things you can do to break this cycle.
Have you ever thought of utilizing silence to re-charge your physical, emotional, and spiritual states? Planning moments of silence in your life every day or two can be a great way to renew and refresh. We have become so accustomed to the assault on our ears. We live in a noisy world that can potentially drain your energy and negatively affect you.
Try these strategies to use the positive effects of peace and quiet to re-invigorate your life:
1. Plan a time for silence. Thirty minutes is an effective amount of tranquility to experience each day. If you’re unsure whether you can deal with peace and quiet for 30 minutes at a time, consider starting out with just 15 minutes.
2. Ponder how you’ll spend your quiet time. Activities like reading, appreciating a hot cup of your favorite tea or prayer are appropriate ways to spend your time sans noise. 3. Consider trying some type of meditative experience during your tranquil times. Sitting and thinking about something that brings you joy is a wonderful way to use your noiseless moments. Repeating an affirmation or mantra are wonderful ways to spend your episodes of silence.
4. Engage in muscle relaxation to truly get in touch with your ability to relax during your quiet times. Progressive relaxation, where you alternate between tensing and relaxing each of the muscle groups will fit together nicely with your episodes of peace.
5. Enjoy the silence. Concentrate on the lack of noise. Notice even the smallest sounds of the refrigerator gurgling or the tree branches brushing lightly against the side of the house. Notice the sounds of nature, whether it’s wind, rain, or frogs and birds chattering to one another. Perhaps these are sounds you wouldn’t normally hear but now you can.
6. Increase the duration of your episodes of silence, as you wish. When you begin making it a point to experience silence daily, you’ll be surprised how much you enjoy it. You’ll realize you’ve been craving the wonderful feelings of renewal that only silence can bring.
7. Feel free to detach further from your music and the television. Being still with just yourself, your thoughts, reading, or quiet hobbies will refresh you in ways that other types of rest will not.
Carve some moments out of your schedule on a regular basis to experience the joys and rejuvenating nature of silence. Infusing periods of silence into your everyday life can bring feelings of calm, patience, and rest. You’ll also decrease your distress and increase your well-being, joy, and comfort. Go ahead and take some quiet time now. You’ll be amazed.